The following is a mashup of rational responses I have written to myself over the years, regarding the feelings of perceived threat I’ve dysfunctionally experienced in social interactions.
- Most interactions are not about power or control. They simply aren’t. Even disagreements aren’t necessarily a power struggle – especially not over personal control.
- You needn’t wait till you have just the right personality before allowing human relationships to occur in your life. Most interaction isn’t something to be gotten right or wrong.
- Hi just means Hi. Maybe they’re not acting friendly with me in some effort to get personally involved in my life.
- Maybe he/she is not a threat. Maybe they’re not trying to change me but to communicate with me.
- Why should I have so much riding on what a stranger thinks of me (and temporarily, at that)?
- You don’t have to know exactly what someone’s personality is like before you can interact with them.